Mrs Tara Fela-Durotoye, Founder and CEO of House of Tara Orekelewa Beauty range is a Nigerian Make up Artist and lawyer. A pioneer in the bridal makeup profession in Nigeria, She launched the first bridal directory in 1999, set up international standard makeup studio, and established the first makeup school in Nigeria. She is also the founder of Inspired Perfume and the H.I.P Beauty range. In 2007, She was awarded the Africa SMME Award and the Entrepreneur award in South Africa. She started her Make up business while she was an undergraduate in the Faculty of Law at Lagos State University.
Tara Fela-Durotoye is the managing director and Creative Director of House of Tara International, a Nigerian makeup company. The organisation has grown into a franchise enterprise with three main lines of business: the Make Up Studio, the Makeup School and the Tara product line comprising beauty products and professional make-up kits.
She is a trained and certified make-up artist of Charles Fox, Convent Garden, London. Her bridal make-up business was launched in 1998. Thereafter, she launched the first bridal directory in Nigeria in 1999. In 2000, she facilitated the first-ever series of bridal seminars, drawing for the first time in Nigeria celebrated professionals in the bridal industry to speak to brides.
She established the country’s first Make Up school in 2004, and also launched the Tara product line, comprising a range of professional tool kits (such as make-up boxes, brushes and purses) for make-up artists and a wide range of make-up products including eye shadows, eye liner, foundation, powders and lip gloss.
Some of Tara Fela-Durotoye’s national and international awards include:
- Entrepreneur of the Year (The Future Awards)
- Young person of the Year (The Future Awards)
- Award for excellence (beauty), city people
- Award for Excellence in the Beauty Sector 2006(City People magazine)
- Pioneer Award for Beauty 2006. (Fashion and Style Award)
- 1st lady award for Women empowerment
- Wedding Planner Honorary award for mentoring other make artists, January 2008
- Best Makeup Artist (Fashion and Style magazine)
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year (Lagos Enterprise Award)
House of Tara International has won several awards including
- Right Vision Movement Award Creativity & Productivity Make over Outlet of the year 2006.
- The Africa SMME Award presented in South Africa and the Entrepreneur of the Year award.2007
- Creative business award of the year, success digest 2008
She is working on her book How to Turn Your Hobby into a Thriving Business.